The individual tax filing season kicked off on 01 July 2015.
Here are some important tips to help you prepare:
1. First confirm that you have to submit a return. In general, if you earned a salary of less than R350 000 for the year, no need to submit a tax return.
2. Register for a SARS eFiling account (if you don’t have one yet). It is way more convenient to submit online and you get extra time to do so. Taxpayers who submit manual returns only have until 30 September 2015 while eFilers have until 27 November 2015.
3. Have all the necessary documentation on hand. All your tax certificates that represent earnings for 01 March 2014 to 28 February 2015 should be pre-populated on your eFiling return. You will need a certificate from your medical aid, pension fund and retirement annuity fund to claim the year’s contributions as a tax deduction.
4. If you receive a travel allowance from your employer, you must have a logbook detailing the distance you traveled during the year and a split between business related and personal trips.
5. Ask for help if you struggle with completing any of the information required on your tax return. SARS will have mobile units available at various points throughout the filing season to assist taxpayers as well as extended office hours at their branches.
For more information and contact details, visit the Tax Season pages on http://www.sars.gov.za